Freelance Writer, Los Angeles
Write articles on science, culture, environment, entertainment, crime, and other topics for publications including Discover, Reader’s Digest, Mother Jones, Salon, Elle, More, Ladies’ Home Journal, Prevention, and Los Angeles Times Magazine.
- Won E.T. Meredith Award for profile of Rwanda war crimes prosecutor Barbara Mulvaney in More.
- Won ASJA Award for best science/technology/business writing for profile of mycologist Paul Stamets in Discover.
- Published major investigative piece in Mother Jones on plan to build North America’s biggest gold mine at headwaters of Alaska’s foremost salmon fishery.
- Reported from Russia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Peru, Colombia, and other far-flung locales.
West Coast Editor, Reader’s Digest, Los Angeles
Wrote, assigned and edited stories, with focus on western U.S. and overseas. Beats: Real-life adventure, profiles, science features, personal essays, as-told-to pieces. Supervised freelancers. Coordinated with New York-based editorial and art departments.
- Generated compelling features and packages that helped Reader’s Digest win its first-ever National Magazine Award for General Excellence.
Senior Writer, Reader’s Digest, Los Angeles
Reported and wrote feature stories. Beats: Human interest, real-life adventure, crime, entertainment.
Senior Editor, People, New York City
Oversaw sections covering human interest, politics, education, medicine, literature, visual arts, the environment and family issues, as well as celebrity as-told-to features. Managed three staff writers. Directed teams of reporters, designers and photo editors.
- Beefed up People’s coverage of non-celebrity topics.
- Represented the magazine on national media outlets, including The Today Show and CNN.
Senior Editor, Life, New York City
Sent reporters and photographers to Asia, Africa, and behind the scenes at Ringling Bros. Circus.
Senior Writer, Life, New York City
- Nominated for National Magazine Award for investigative feature on Gulf War syndrome.
- Wrote best-selling cover story in history of monthly Life, on six-year-old conjoined twin sisters.
- Wrote essays on history, culture and photojournalism for Life books and special editions.
- Reported from Iceland, Sweden, and across the United States.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
Associate Editor, Rolling Stone, New York City
Research Associate, Esquire, New York City
Have written for Aeon, Discover, Elle, Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, Ladies’ Home Journal, Life, More, Mother Jones, the Los Angeles Times Magazine, LA Weekly, Parade, Parents, People, Prevention, Reader’s Digest, Rolling Stone, Salon, TakePart, Time, USA Weekend, and other print and online periodicals.
Decades of the Twentieth Century: The Way We Were. LIFE Books, 1999
The LIFE Millennium. LIFE Books, 1998
LIFE Album 1995: Pictures of the Year. LIFE Books, 1996
Senior Writer and Editor
Our Times: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Twentieth Century. Turner Books, 1995
Have been interviewed on The Today Show, Late Night With Larry King, CNN Newsroom, On the Record With Greta Van Susteren, The Gayle King Show, and other programs.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Folio Eddie Award
E.T. Meredith Award for Creative Excellence
Wilbur Award for Religious Reporting
National Magazine Award Finalist
John Bartlow Martin Award for Public Interest Magazine Journalism
EDI Award, National Easter Seal Society
Pulitzer Traveling Fellowship
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York City. M.S. Journalism
WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY, Middletown, Connecticut. B.A. American Studies
Conversational Spanish and French